Today if you carefully observe the youngsters, they are all running after a career in engineering which they find lucrative and appealing. Although most run for jobs in the computer field, many others find other branches of engineering equally prospective. Thus you will see some run after a career in mechanical, chemical, civil engineering, etc. But you may never have heard of another branch of engineering called building engineering services.
But building engineering services is very much there and some find it a very acceptable and challenging field to work in.
Building Engineering Services- An Overview
In building engineering services, an engineer is there to design, develop, install and maintain all aspects of convenience and comfort for the residents of the building. This includes all systems or equipment in a building that render the entire space very safe and secure and comfortable as well. The space becomes so convenient and safe that it causes less of a harmful impact on the environment due to their hard work and effort in keeping it up.
Services Included In Building Engineering Services
Building engineering services include:
- Building control systems
- Distribution of energy
- Supply of energy as in the utility gadgets and appliances
- Lifts and escalators
- Façade engineering
- Fire safety and its detection and prevention and protection
- HVAC system
- Communication and information technology
- Lighting and its protection (this includes both natural and artificial lighting)
- Security and alarm systems
- Plumbing, water supply and drainage systems
- Carbon emissions reduction and calculation
- Air filtration
- Carbon monoxide detection
- Acoustics in the building
If you have specialist building service engineering, you could have your building protected from bacteria and germs. They also do humidity control. If the building requires specialist lighting effects then they are the very people who will provide the same.
Where Are Building Service Engineers Employed?
Now if you want building services engineering to be implemented in your plant or building you must know whom to turn to for help. The right people who can provide you with such services are:
- Property groups
- Facility management companies
- Research or educational companies
- Government agencies
- Engineering design consultancies
- Building contractors
- Architectural firms
- Building equipment manufacturers
- Manufacturing plants
- Utility companies
The Responsibilities Of Building Services Engineers- Points To Note
Building services engineers have many responsibilities in their capacity. If they discharge their duties properly and efficiently then the building services engineering is taken care of well which is what is desired. Their typical; responsibilities include:
- Making visits to the building sites
- Associating with builders and clients about their budgets and requirements
- Making negotiations on contracts
- Taking care to see that every building has their unique systems
- Laying out of important systems for the buildings like their energy source, ventilation systems, pipes, etc.
- Selection of optimum building materials is also their job
- Installation of various building components and overseeing that job
- Testing out all the systems so that they work properly without malfunctioning
They have many other important functions that pertain to their capacity as building service engineers.
Scope Of Building Services Engineering
Thease can be broken down into three categories, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering. Civil engineering focuses on the construction of buildings while mechanical and electrical focus on operating systems within buildings like heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Civil engineers may deal with the construction of roads or other outdoor areas like walkways and parking lots as well as designing sewers to dispose of rainwater or other types of liquid waste outside the building structure.
Gradually with the expansion in the field of building services engineering, more and more career options are emerging. The profession is engaging more personnel to work and take care of renewable energy, sustainability, energy management, low carbon footprint, etc. Thus they have a very important role to play. If you are safe and sound in your apartment and residential society you will have to thank these people for the commendable job that they do so tirelessly.